What is veganism?
According to The Vegan Society, veganism is defined as “... a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.”
Why do people choose to become vegan?
There are several reasons to consider veganism, including:
- Animal welfare
- The objection to using animals as commodities
- Environmental issues related to agriculture – such as air pollution
- An attempt to lessen over-consumption of resources (land, water, fossil fuels)
- Adopting veganism as part of the solution to world hunger
- Health reasons (e.g. lactose intolerance)
What vegans eat
The idea that vegan diets are limited are a total myth, and here are a few examples of the food options available to vegans:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Nuts and seeds
- Carbs such as potatoes, pasta, bread, pitas, rice, and quinoa
- Beans and legumes such as tofu, edamame, black beans, chickpeas, hummus, and lentils
- Meat alternatives such as tempeh, veggie burgers, vegan sausages, and nut roasts
- Non-dairy products like coconut milk, almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, coconut ice cream, almond yoghurt, coffee creamers, vegan cheese, and vegan butter
- Most varieties of dark chocolate and some non-dairy milk chocolates
- Junk food such as onion rings, crisps, cookies, cake, candy
When it comes to junk foods and vegan alternatives, just remember to check the ingredients in order to make sure that they are vegan. There are lots of great apps and websites to make your life easier. Our favourites include Happy Cow and Vegan Pocket.
Some vegans also choose to avoid animals products (not just foods), including:
- Animals as entertainment
- Leather, suede, and fur
- Animal derived products such as silk or wool
- Products tested on animals
- Personal care products containing animal ingredients (beeswax, keratin, lanolin, etc.)
Hopefully this has given you an idea of what veganism is, and maybe you’re interested in changing your diet to a vegan one! We provide great vegan supplements for weight loss, muscle gain and general health and wellbeing, which you can check out here.