What are the symptoms of iron deficiency?
Iron deficiency can lead to various symptoms that can affect different aspects of a person's well-being. Common symptoms of iron deficiency include fatigue and weakness, as iron is essential for the production of red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout the body. Consequently, insufficient iron levels can result in reduced oxygen supply to tissues, leading to feelings of tiredness and decreased energy levels.
Iron plays a vital role in supporting cognitive function, so its deficiency can impair cognitive abilities and result in poor concentration and brain fog.
Other symptoms of iron deficiency can include:
shortness of breath, dizziness, and difficulty concentrating
a weakened immune system, leading to increased susceptibility to infections.
In some cases, people with iron deficiency may also have a craving for non-food items like ice or clay, a condition known as pica. If these symptoms persist or worsen, it is crucial to seek medical attention for proper diagnosis and treatment.
What is Chelated Iron?
Chelated iron refers to a specific form of iron supplementation that involves binding iron molecules with organic compounds known as chelating agents. This process enhances the absorption and bioavailability of iron within the body. Chelation involves forming stable complexes between iron and the chelating agent, which protects the iron from interacting with other compounds that might hinder its absorption. The chelated iron complex is more easily recognised and assimilated by the digestive system, allowing for efficient absorption into the bloodstream. This form of iron supplementation is commonly used to treat iron deficiency anemia and other conditions where increased iron levels are required. Chelated iron is considered a highly effective and well-tolerated method of delivering iron to the body, ensuring optimal utilisation and minimising potential side effects associated with other forms of iron supplements.
What are the benefits of chelated iron?
- Enhanced Absorption: Chelation improves the absorption and bioavailability of iron in the body. By binding iron with chelating agents, the complex is protected from interactions with other substances that may hinder absorption. This results in a higher percentage of iron being absorbed by the body, increasing its effectiveness.
- Reduced Side Effects: Chelated iron is generally well-tolerated and can minimize common side effects associated with other forms of iron supplements, such as constipation, stomach upset, and nausea. The improved absorption ensures that the iron is utilized efficiently, reducing the likelihood of gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Improved Stability: Chelated iron complexes are more stable than other forms of iron. They are less likely to oxidize or react with other compounds, maintaining the integrity and effectiveness of the iron supplement over time. This stability allows for a longer shelf life and ensures that the iron remains in a form that can be readily absorbed by the body.
- Targeted Delivery: Chelation allows for targeted delivery of iron to specific sites in the body where it is needed the most. The chelated iron complex can be efficiently transported across cell membranes, facilitating its distribution to organs and tissues that require iron for various physiological processes, such as red blood cell production and oxygen transport.
- Effective for Iron Deficiency: Chelated iron supplements are commonly used to address iron deficiency anemia, a condition characterised by low levels of iron in the body. Due to its enhanced absorption, chelated iron can effectively replenish iron stores and help correct anemia, improving energy levels, reducing fatigue, and supporting overall health.
Ingredients & Dosage
We recommend 1 capsule, daily. Each gelatin-free Vegan capsule contains :
- Iron (Ferrous Gluconate) - 24mg
- Calcium Phosphate
- AcaciaStearic Acid